Tuesday 12 July 2005

Bling, bling and a whole lotta bling!

I've finally got some spare time to do some of my own work, which is fun!
 
Last week, one of my students brought a ring in, which had broken, she wanted to repair it. It was big, chunky, and beautiful. I just had to have a go and make something similar myself, and now it is in the kiln!
 
I have taken a lot of photos of the whole process, as I might write it up as a step-by-step project. It is a ring made by simply drawing the design with an Art Clay 650 syringe, directly on the mandrel. It is pretty easy, so great for someone just starting out. I've also added an advanced step, as I'm setting a seriously big blinging stone on the ring. This is also done with the syringe.
 
I can hear my kiln clicking away in the background, and I can barely wait to get the ring out. I love big, blingy, sparkly stones, and the one set on this ring ticks all the boxes. It is a deep champagne coloured, triangular, 12 mm big cubic zirconium. Beautifully facetted. Sparkly... Blingy...
 
With the stone set, the ring certainly isn't a pretty, elegant, daintly little ring; it's more of a in-your-face, look-at-me ring.
 
Without the stone, it is a cute, unusually shaped ring, and using a smaller stone, it could be done to look elegant.
 
It is easy to change a design to fit what you like - take parts of it, and ignore the bits you don't like. Replace them with something else, or simply leave them out.
 
I'll post a photo of BlingBling when it is finished. Here is a taster.

No comments:

Post a Comment